Ian Shaw Memorial Scholarship
The Ian Shaw Memorial Scholarship was launched in 2017 to recognize and reward a young woman’s commitment to hockey, community and education.
Named in memory of long-time board member and referee-in-chief Ian Shaw, this annual scholarship recognizes a graduating member of the TLGHA who has distinguished herself through her commitment as a player, an official and a member of her community.
The scholarship, in the amount of $500, will be directed to offset the costs of post-secondary education.
The successful applicant has the following:
- A combined 4 years as a registered player and/or official (referee or timekeeper) within the Toronto Leaside Wildcats (Note: a season in which an applicant plays and officiates counts as two years toward eligibility)
- Is an official (referee or timekeeper) with the Wildcats in the application season
- Has obtained her high school diploma or is in her graduating year at high school
- Demonstrates a commitment to service in her community through volunteering or other activities
- Intends to enroll in a recognized post-secondary institution within two years of the scholarship award
- Complete Scholarship Application Form
- A letter outlining the impact hockey and officiating has had on the applicant’s life
- A letter of reference from the applicant’s coach or referee-in-chief
- A letter of reference confirming the applicant’s contribution in the community (optional)