High Performance Program
High Performance Program
A Shared Approach
Our High Performance Coaching team has a collaborative approach, establishing a pathway for our players to develop from the grassroots to the university level. Under the guidance of our High Performance Program Director, our coaches will deliver a connected and comprehensive on-ice program that emphasizes developing the skills, hockey IQ, and habits players require to both reach and excel at the highest levels of women’s hockey.
Our collaborative on-ice approach will include:
- Integrated Practices - Regular opportunities for players from a younger division to join the team above them in team practices.
- Combined Skill Development Sessions - Our combined sessions put players from multiple AA teams on the ice together to learn, compete and grow together.
- Game Opportunities - Our High Performance Program players are provided the opportunity to play in games for the age division above them.
- Shared Philosophy/Curriculum - All our AA programs share similar principles of play, and the players are taught the key concepts and skills needed to excel at both their current level and the level above. Our teams develop a similar annual plan which is monitored by the High Performance Program Director.
- On-Ice Evaluations - All our AA players are evaluated by our High Performance Program Director and coaches using a common template to help manage player development for the following year.
We believe regular exposure to the next level up and consistency in on-ice development across age groups helps players and families better understand what it takes to reach the highest levels and provides them the foundation to support their player’s development accordingly.
A Complete Approach
Our High Performance Program focuses on the development of the complete person and gives all our HPP players opportunities to grow, lead and excel on and off the ice.
This complete player development approach will include:
- Shared Culture/Curriculum - Our HPP Director, Kim McCullough, runs regular seminars for our HPP coaches and players, immersing them in The Wildcat Way of being, training and playing. These seminars cover areas such as mental performance, team building, leadership and university hockey opportunities (for our older HPP teams).
- Off-Ice Development - In addition to our Wildcat Way seminars, our HPP coaches provide regular opportunities for players to develop the physical, mental, emotional and life skills necessary to succeed both on and off the ice.
- Dryland Training - will be guided by GRIT Athletics Director of Sport & Performance, Dan Noble and all teams/athletes will have ample opportunity to train with GRIT gritathletics.ca
- Mental Performance Training - teams work on areas such as goal setting, focus, composure and resilience at least once per month
- Leadership Training - players learn what it takes to be a leader in a team setting as well as within the community
- Video Sessions - coaches use video regularly to teach and inspire their team
- Off-Ice Evaluations - These meetings between players/parents and coaches will occur at least twice a season to provide players with specific feedback on strengths and areas to improve.
For further information or questions about our High Performance Program, please contact Kim McCullough, Director of Hockey Operations, at: email@example.com