Managing the Cost of Hockey
Does the league offer financial aid to offset the cost of hockey?
The Toronto Leaside Girls Hockey Association does not have this kind of program in place, but many organizations and foundations do.
An individual can apply to any or all of the following programs in order to secure financial aid to offset the cost of their daughter’s hockey. In addition, for our older players, there are hockey related scholarships and bursaries available to offset the cost of post-secondary education.
We will continue to update this page as we become aware of any new programs available to our members. And if you know of any that we have missed, please email me directly and we will get them added.
President, Toronto Leaside Girls Hockey Association
- Canadian Tire Jumpstart ~ You must apply prior to registration.
- NHL Players Association ~ Goals and Dreams: Individual Award of up to $2,000.
- KidSport ~ Individual grants to cover registration fees and/or equipment. Applications must be sent in 60 days prior to the beginning of the season.
- The Deb Giles Hockey Scholarship ~ Awarded annually to a girl who wants to play hockey but is currently financially unable to do so. Application is due in September for the same year of competition.
- Grindstone Foundation ~ The Grindstone Award Foundation is a charity that enables young female players to participate and improve their skill development in the sport of hockey.
- Scotiabank Community Hockey Sponsorship ~ Up to $1,000 for a team (Visit your local branch for details and sponsorship application).
- Dodge Caravan Kids ~ Up to $500 for a Novice Team. Note they already sponsor our Novice HL division, but a Novice Rep team could apply.
- Flipgive ~ Make your purchases count - teams buy products and services through FlipGive and get a percentage of money back to the team.
- Teamfund ~ Fill the freezer with amazing Canadian products that are locally sourced. All online through TeamFund!
- TD Canada Trust ~ The Ready Commitment for team funding.
- iTrackHockey ~ Tracks shots, missed opportunities and scoring chances. There is a special $50 one time fee for teams.
Post-secondary Education for Graduating Players
- Ian Shaw Memorial Scholarship ~ This annual scholarship recognizes a graduating member of the TLGHA who has distinguished herself through her commitment as a player, an official and a member of her community. The scholarship, in the amount of $500, will be directed to offset the costs of post-secondary education.