Managing the Cost of Hockey…
The number one question we get at this time of year is “Does the league offer financial aid to offset the cost of hockey?” Unfortunately the league does not have this kind of program in place, but many organizations and foundations do. An individual can apply to any or all of the following programs in order to secure financial aid to offset the cost of their daughter’s hockey. In addition, for our older players, there are hockey related scholarships and bursaries available to offset the cost of post-secondary education.
We will continue to update this page as we become aware of any new programs available to our members. And if you know of any that we have missed, please email me directly and we will get them added.
President, Toronto Leaside Girls Hockey Association
1) Chevrolet Helmet program ~ Free Bauer Helmet for children born in 2008 (2013/14 season)
2) Canadian Tire Jumpstart ~ Application deadline is November 1, 2013
3) NHL Players Association ~ Goals and Dreams: Individual Award of up to $2,000
4) Hyundai Hockey Helpers ~ Individual Grants of $100 to $500
5) KidSport Canada ~ Grants to individual players to offset the cost of equipment & registration fees
6) Toronto Sports Council Emerging Athletes Mentorship Fund ~ A $2,000 grant to an individual player with demonstrated skills, who is looking to move from recreational (House League) to competitive sport. Application Deadline is October 31, 2014
1) Scotiabank Community Hockey Sponsorship ~ Up to $1,000 for a team
(Visit your local branch for details and sponsorship application)
2) Dodge Caravan Kids ~ Up to $500 for a Novice Team
Note they already sponsor our Novice HL division, but a Novice Rep team could apply.
And for Graduating Players looking to offset the cost of post-secondary education:
1) Ontario Hockey Federation Bursary ~ $1,000 toward post-secondary education for successful applicants