Ian Shaw Memorial Scholarship 2018
The Ian Shaw Memorial Scholarship was launched in 2017 to recognize and reward a young woman’s commitment to hockey, community and education.
Named in memory of long-time board member and referee-in-chief Ian Shaw, this annual scholarship recognizes a graduating member of the TLGHA who has distinguished herself through her commitment as a player, an official and a member of her community. The scholarship, in the amount of $500, will be directed to offset the costs of post-secondary education.
Information on Ian Shaw and the Scholarship is attached along with the application form. Applications must be submitted before March 31, 2018. A note to our adult officials, please encourage any Grade 12 Wildcat official to apply provided they meet the requirements. And to the younger ones, this is something you can aim for when you are in your graduation year.
The successful applicant has the following:
- A combined 4 years as a registered player and/or official (referee or timekeeper) within the Toronto Leaside Wildcats (Note: a season in which an applicant plays and officiates counts as two years toward eligibility)
- Is an official (referee or timekeeper) with the Wildcats in the application season
- Has obtained her high school diploma or is in her graduating year at high school
- Demonstrates a commitment to service in her community through volunteering or other activities
- Intends to enroll in a recognized post-secondary institution within two years of the scholarship award
- Application form
- A letter outlining the impact hockey and officiating has had on the applicant’s life
- A letter of reference from the applicant’s coach or referee-in-chief
- A letter of reference confirming the applicant’s contribution in the community (optional)
The application form can be emailed to email@example.com as can any questions you may have.
Download scholarship information print version in PDF.