Development Stream (DS) Program
The Development Stream (DS) program is a subset of House League offered on a tryout basis to players who:
- Are looking for a development bridge to Competitive hockey; or
- Do not wish to make the commitment, in time or cost, to Competitive hockey but are seeking more competition and skill development than is afforded by house league alone.
DS Program Information
Who can play?
All players registered in House League are eligible to try out for the DS team in their age group. It is important to note that the DS program supplements the House League program, meaning that all DS players must be registered in House League and must attend House League games and practices regularly. This may result in players having two games/practices on the same day.
What divisions have teams?
There will be two (2) teams each in Novice, Atom, and Peewee, and one team each in Bantam and Midget. This year, because of new Hockey Canada guidelines adopted by the OWHA, players in the Tyke division may not try out for the Novice DS teams.
What is the time commitment?
In accordance with OWHA rules, DS teams are permitted to play in no more than 8 games and 3 tournaments during the House League season. DS players will typically be on the ice once a week in addition to their regular House League games and practices.
Which tournaments will our DS teams be attending?
We are considering the following tournaments for this year’s DS teams:
1. Guelph ~ 5–7 January 2018
2. Leaside March Break Madness Tournament ~ 9–11 March 2018
3. Brampton Canadettes ~ World’s Largest & Longest Running Female Tournament ~ 29-1 March/April 2018
What is the cost in addition to House League fees?
The approximate cost of playing on a DS team is $725 per player in addition to House League registration fees. This covers entry fees for the tournaments, as well as professional skating and goalie instruction at some practices. It does not cover any travel costs, which are extra.
Players will also be required to purchase their own jerseys (approx. $130); however, these jerseys are the same as the jerseys worn by our Competitive teams and can be used for subsequent years of DS or Rep.
How can I volunteer to coach?
Applications will be accepted for head coaching positions prior to tryouts. The application can be accessed here. The deadline for applications is 25 September 2017. Assistant coaches, trainers and managers will be selected for each team from among those interested parents whose daughters have been selected for the team.
When are the tryouts?
Tryouts will be held about the first week of November and will be open to all registered players in our 2017–18 House League program. Independent evaluators selected by the EVP of House League and the DS Convenor will assist in the evaluation of the players. The tryout fee is $30 the first two sessions. If you are asked to return for a third tryout session an additional $15 fee is required to be paid on the day of the tryout. Not all players will be required to attend the third tryout.
Registration for the 2017 DS Tryouts can be done here.
- Friday Nov. 3, 6:00–7:00 p.m., Commander
- Saturday Nov. 4, 3:10–4:10 p.m., Rinx
- Sunday Nov. 5, 2:30–3:30 p.m., Leaside Memorial Gardens (if necessary) $15 Payment Due for Each Player
- Thursday Nov. 2, 6:30–7:30 p.m., Commander
- Saturday Nov. 4, 6:30–7:30 p.m., Leaside Memorial Gardens
- Sunday Nov. 5, 1:00–2:00 p.m., Leaside Memorial Gardens (if necessary) $15 Payment Due for Each Player
- Wednesday Nov. 1, 6:30–7:30 p.m., Leaside Memorial Gardens (Group A)
- Wednesday Nov. 1, 7:30–8:30 p.m., Leaside Memorial Gardens (Group B)
- Saturday Nov. 4, 5:45–6:45 p.m., Canlan Vic Park (Group A)
- Saturday Nov. 4, 6:45–7:45 p.m., Canlan Vic Park (Group B)
- Sunday Nov. 5, 5:30–6:30 p.m., UCC – Mara (if necessary) $15 Payment Due for Each Player
- Saturday Nov. 4, 5:45–6:45 p.m. Oriole
- Sunday Nov. 5, 2:00–3:00 p.m., Leaside Memorial Gardens
- Sunday, Nov. 5, 12:50–1:50 p.m., Beaches
- Wednesday Nov. 8, 6:30–7:30 p.m., Leaside Memorial Gardens
Can my daughter play DS if she is on a Tournament Team?
Players registered on a Tournament Team are eligible to try out for DS and can continue to play on both teams if they wish. However, DS players may be traded to another house league team to help balance the division; in this case, it may be impossible to honour friend requests indicated at registration. Full refunds on the cost of tournament team registration will be offered to Tournament Team players who are successful at DS tryouts and opt to play DS only.
When are practices?
Practice times will include:
5:45pm Canlan VP
6:45pm Canlan VP
The teams will generally rotate through the practice time slots to help facilitate game planning.